About Volunteering at Legal Services Alabama
Legal and Administrative Volunteers
Legal Services Alabama uses volunteers to assist our local offices and to help with under-served communities. By becoming involved with our organization, volunteers gain valuable legal experience and first-hand knowledge of how the public interest legal sector operates. Most importantly, volunteers will provide an invaluable service to low-income communities. Job Description: Volunteers As a volunteer, you will:
- Be trained in several areas of public interest law, such as family, housing, collection lawsuits, bankruptcy, public benefits, tax, education, and employment.
- Assist clients with the completion of intake questionnaires and applications.
- Work with Managing Attorney to assist clients with their legal problems.
- Determine the eligibility of our clients by calculating income, learning about assets, and inquiring about factors that make clients eligible for legal services.
- Use knowledge of substantive law to develop and enhance intake questionnaires, as well as self-help materials for our clients.
- Learn interviewing techniques, case analysis, and issue spotting in areas of public interest law.
- Become a skilled listener, who will gather information in a considerate and respectful manner, analyze the facts, and apply substantive knowledge.
- Sensitive and caring attitude
- Enthusiasm about assisting low income Alabamians
- Highly motivated to use your skills to assist the community
- Ability to work efficiently with people from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to communicate effectively individually (one-on-one) and/or present information in a group setting
- Able and willing to attend training sessions
- Understand the need and NOT profit financially or accept remuneration for services
If you are interested in volunteering with LSA, you may contact the Managing Attorney at any of our local offices directly about any volunteer opportunities/internships they may have available.
You can help us get information out to individuals who are effected by legal issues around the state. Volunteers can help with video and photography needs. Some of the areas where assisted is greatly appreciated are
- Audio transcription for subtitling PSAs, trainings, and other LSA film work.
- Voice overs.
- Actor portrayals
- Photo sessions for websites and other promotional materials.
- Translations for non-English speaking residents.
If you are interested, please Contact us for more information.