Equal Justice Works Legal Services Alabama - Montgomery Regional Office
Title: Equal Justice Works Legal Services Alabama Rural Economic Improvement Project Advocate
Legal Services Alabama (LSA) is a nonprofit law firm dedicated to providing access to justice and quality free civil legal assistance to educate and empower Alabama’s low-income community with opportunities out of poverty. LSA, in partnership with Equal Justice Works, is seeking an advocate for a two-year position with Equal Justice Works Alabama Rural Economic Improvement Project. The Advocate will be an employee of LSA but funded by Equal Justice Works. The Advocate will focus on developing systemic solutions to economic development issues facing rural populations The Advocate will be located in LSA’s Montgomery Regional Office.
Job duties include but not limited to:
• Prepare and deliver formal presentations before both professional and community audiences on matters related to economic
development and consumer issues;
• Coordinate outreach, education and technical assistance programs for eligible clients and community organizations;
• Creating and updating community educational and training materials for clients about economic development and consumer
• Establish sound working relationships and cooperative arrangements with community organizations in the rural service areas of
• Conduct client intake in person, on the telephone, and at community-based organizations throughout the state.
Requirements: LSA is looking for a law school graduate with the following qualifications:
• Candidates should have public speaking and community education experience, and a demonstrated commitment to social
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
• Cultural competency in working with low‐income clients from diverse backgrounds;
• Strong organizational skills and ability to perform tasks necessary to maintain a substantial active caseload of advocacy and
• Be willing to relocate to Montgomery.
LSA offers excellent fringe benefits with loan forgiveness provided by Equal Justice Works. A resume, cover letter, and writing sample, should be submitted to Jaffe Pickett at firstname.lastname@example.org LSA is an Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of LSA not to discriminate against any applicant for employment because of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, pregnancy, medical condition, national origin, disability, marital, or other protected status.